Thus began my two-weekend project:
- Paint both rooms of the bathroom
- Paint the faux-wood medicine cabinet since the "wood" didn't match the rest of the wood in the room anyway
- Replace the old hardware on the medicine cabinet
- Spray paint the rusted metal light fixture over the shower
- Spray paint the brass parts of the glass shelves satin nickel to match everything else
- Replace the old worn brass toilet handle with a satin nickel one
- Find something interesting to put on the walls
- Finally put out the green crackled glass bathroom accessories I bought at Homegoods months ago
- And last but certainly not least... paint the shower curtain
The lighting in the pictures is not very good, and let's face it, bathrooms in general are not that exciting. But, in person, it looks a thousand times better than it did before. The paint color is SW Shagreen mixed in Behr Premium Plus Ultra. The photos on the walls are from our honeymoon... Kevin's bamboo forest picture and some pictures of turtles we saw while snorkeling.
Below are some of the details... the picture at the bottom is the bath mat, a Homegoods find. The pile is thick and kind of wormy, it feels great on the feet. Sasha likes it, too. The ducks were gifts from my aunt back when I had a rubber duck themed bathroom in the old house.
The crackled glass soap dispensers gave me a bit of trouble. They were the whole inspiration for the colors in the room, and I put them out after I had done all of this work and neither of them would pump soap! I was so totally defeated until I posted on the Garden Web home decor forum, and they told me that you can buy replacement pumps at Bed, Bath and Beyond. So, I picked up a couple for less than $3 each, and they are now working like a charm. They have brushed nickel, chrome and oil rubbed bronze options, just in case you need one some day.
The monogrammed shower curtain took me literally an entire Saturday to do, but I love it! One of these days, I'll make a post on how I did it.